Sunday, January 15, 2006

Mostly Dead or Completely Alive?

Do you ever feel like Westley, in The Princess Bride, when he lies on Miracle Max's table and is declared "mostly dead" as opposed to "all dead"? I do.

Paul says in Romans 6:4 that we are "buried with Christ through baptism into death in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life". But we must be completely dead before we can be raised to life. If there is any of our old sin nature left in us, we can't be raised up to new life because we were never "all dead". But every now and then, that tiny bit of me that's keeping the old me "slightly alive" will raise its head and let out a surprising mumble that's confusing to me and those who live with me.

You know, being dead isn't like being pregnant- you know what I mean- you can't be almost pregnant or a little bit pregnant- you either are or you're not. However, after years of working in an intensive care unit, I know, for I have seen, that there is something called "mostly dead" and "slightly alive" and it's a very unattractive place to be. And it's not a place that very many people can hang out in for very long. And it usually has a bad outcome.

I don't want to be in a "mostly dead" or "slightly alive" place. Let me fully dead, completely dead, so that I can be made completely alive in Christ. A much better place to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that what Oswald calls the "white death"? or something like that? When I read Oswald it was very confusing to me. What you just wrote explained it. But once again, this is something I need to ponder and wrap my mind around. Really neat learning so much by your posts.

sunshine said...

Yes, I think I'm talking about the same thing here. I think that sometimes we miss so much of what Oswald was trying to say since all we're getting are snippets of teachings or sermons- not the whole thing. Maybe he'd be easier to understand if we had the whole sermon.

rod said...

only one thing can treat mostly dead.
Twue wuv

sunshine said...

You are SO RIGHT! You amaze me! No wonder I love you so much!