Friday, February 09, 2007

Training for the Long Run

About 2 years ago, my eldest son started taking an interest in running and went out for the middle school track team. One day, I talked him into going for a run with me. It was a little over 3 mile run; not bad for a beginner, but up the long hill at the end, he really started to lag behind. I ran the hill and then jogged back for him, encouraging him along the way.

Last Saturday, he and I went for another run. This time, we were doing my five mile route. He outpaced me from the very start and although I can run this course without much difficulty, somewhere near the middle, I just let him go. He'd turn around every now and then to see if he was supposed to go straight or take an upcoming turn and I'd signal him on- each time from further away. Eventually, I lost sight of him- he knew the way home.

Earlier that day, we were discussing the book of Daniel over danishes and sodas at a local coffee shop, while we waited for little sister to finish up her dance class. I wanted to impress him with my newly gained knowledge of the fulfillment of kingdom prophesies in the second chapter. I was blown away by the fact that Cyrus was mentioned by name 150 years before he came into being as the one who would set the Israelites free from their Babylonian captivity. (See Isaiah 45). He was unimpressed... he already knew all of that and even pointed out some other prophesies mentioned in Jeremiah about the same deal. He had learned all about this in his small group that meets on Sunday nights. We went on to discuss the pertinence of the book of Daniel for all of society today, especially for teens as they seek who they really are and what they really believe. We drew parallels between the 15 year old Daniel and his friends and himself, who will turn 15 in just a few days. I was amazed at his understanding and a little disappointed that I had never learned these truths at his young age.

How rewarding as a parent to watch him run so far ahead- even to out of sight. And how encouraging when I saw him jogging back up the road to finish the run beside me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

rod said...

oh, man.

rod said...

I remember having a discussion years ago with someone about Dobson's statement that children need to win 75% of the time. It is important to allow them that so that they grow up with encouragement and strong self confidence. I said that I'd never ever let my kids beat me. They'd try and try and try until they could outright lay me out.
Of course, it's been 6 years since I've been able to play b-ball, but I did play h-o-r-s-e with him recently and beat him every time, because every time I beat him, he said, "come on Dad, one more time..." I believe self confidence comes from ambition, drive, desire, striving, competition, and always having someone just ahead to pull you along. Eventually, one moves ahead and assumes the role pulling the others along.

sunshine said...

And you know what? That's the fastest time I've ever had running that course!