Sunday, September 24, 2006

Baby Gap

Some of my close friends (and those of you who have read my profile) know that one of my all time favorite movies is "You've Got Mail". It's not because it's a cute, feel-good chick flick or because the plot is gripping. It's because I am Kathleen Kelly. I've never been brave. All I do is this little thing. I fell in love with my very best friend over walks and talks and letters and Starbucks. I even love daisies- I always have.

This morning I experienced yet another Kathleen moment. It's the scene when she e-mails her "oldest and dearest of friends" and tells him that she is a shop owner and that today, her shop is closing and that "next week it will probably be something depressing like a Baby Gap". I felt that this morning... something dear and precious and very personal to me is gone and it has been replaced with something quite Baby Gap-esque.

Perhaps there's some sort of safety in being homogenous- it seems to be what we strive for. When is the last time you traveled somewhere and were able to find a restaraunt at which to dine or store at which to shop that was unique, personal, intimate? It's so hard to find. I can travel to Pennsylvania and eat at an Applebee's and know before I get there what's on the menu. If I shop for a dress at Old Navy in West Virginia and they don't have my size, I can be quite certain they'll have it here in South Carolina when I get home. And if I can't afford a choice pair of shoes at Ann Taylor Loft, I can always stop by Wal-Mart and get their knock-off version for a tiny fraction of the price. We live in a world of homogeniety- where we strive to look like everyone else, sound like everyone else, be like everyone else. I can dress my baby in South Carolina in exactly the same outfit you do in California because we all shop at Baby Gap.

How unlike our Father, who made thousands of different kinds of ants, tens of thousands of different kinds of blossoms. Who thought of giraffes and platypusses and hummingbirds. A Creator who seems to revel in the brilliance of diversity and self expression.

My husband is a worship leader. Did I ever tell you that? He has been "gifted" in a way that few are to lay bare the souls of those who worship with him before an Almighty God. I treasure worshipping under his leadership. And now that has changed.
Some person will probably think it's a tribute to this religion, about how we study what people like and if we appeal to their musical style preferences or emotions we'll draw more people into the fold. I know because it's the sort of thing I'm always saying.

People are always telling me that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all has happened...the truth is, I'm heartbroken.

-Kathleen Kelly in You've Got Mail

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well stated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rod said...

thank you for feeling what I feel I cannot allow myself. You have been strong for me, at times, precisely in your weakness. Who'd have thought two weaks make strong.
I would never walk through uncertainty with anyone else. Ever.