Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Sunrises and Such

I only have a minute but I've been thinking about this all day so hopefully I can get it right the first time!
Rod has been talking about a Eugene Peterson book called Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places for quite some time now. I haven't read it (yet) but I have been blessed by Rod reading it! One of the things he's taught me has been how God chose to teach us about himself. It is in creation that He placed us because this is the way He wants us to know him. We get life, this earth, His creation all for the purpose of learning who He is. There are so many songs out there that talk about us "not belonging here" and wishing our time here away--only to get to the other side- that's our goal. But that is just not what God had in mind. He had in mind that we would live life NOW and abundantly! There is purpose to our life. It's not an accident. Our world was not created by accident and it will not end by accident. An accidental life (for me) just doesn't seem worth living!

With all this in mind, I was so blessed the other morning as I drove our middle son to school and witnessed the most beautiful sunrise that I have ever seen! Now those of you who know me know that I'm not much of a morning person so you might think that me seeing any sunrise is a miracle! But when I was kid, I had a morning paper route and I saw more than the average number of sunrises for a kid. Anyway, it was just such a wonderful thing to look at that gorgeous artwork in the sky, feel God's smile, and know that He was just being there, all obvious and everything, just so I could know Him better.

My son, Will, is quite an artist. Seeing his quirky little drawings gives you a peek into his soul. It lets you see a part of him you could never know any other way. Seeing that sunrise and pondering the Artist behind it was the same way. Seeing the joy he must hold in his heart at the sight of a fresh day for each of us. A new opportunity for someone to know him better. Seeing the passion in the wild pinks and flame oranges. Knowing how passionately he pursues each of us. Seeing how he used all of his palette- knowing how detail-oriented he must be. How he must see even little me and desire that I enjoy him whole heartedly. What an inspiration for all of us, to reach back to him with the power and beauty and passion that he reaches out for us.

Will said, "Wow, Mom, I wish I could draw as well as God!" And I thought, "so do I, Will...so do I."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that sunrise is my alltime favorite part of day, even though I really really like the night lights. I am an early morning one, for some reason can just feel more at that time. So glad you were able to experience the blazing orange explosion.

sunshine said...

Did you see that one? Wednesday morning?

Anonymous said...

I experienced the hottest sunglow ever back in summer when I was driving to work for early morning job, and the one this week(can't remember which morning it was actually)so reminded me of that one. But more than just comparing the two I realized that the summer one was a foreshowing of several very intense experiences lately that have occurred when visually all I could see outside was shades of grey. He created liquid heat that just poured into my soul and has burned away the scales off the windows to my innersanctum. I believe that my best intimate moments with Him are when a melding takes place between the heatwaves and the color of sea.