Sunday, November 20, 2005

Stand Still and Breathe

In my ponderings on the subject of reconciliation, I read a prayer on the subject in a book called Body Prayer. First of all, let me explain that a body prayer is an active prayer in which the pray-ers are guided into actions that help them to understand more deeply about that which they are praying. For example, the instruction 'to rise from a seated position to a standing position using the strength of your arms' might help one to see that the act of reconciliation is something that requires an effort on our part- something that we do not sit idly by and "simply allow to occur".

The authors instructed me to move into a stance that, for me, demonstrated a humble submission to God. They had me breathe deeply, which to me represented the importance of the Holy Spirit in the whole process. As I participated in the prayer, one thing in particular struck me. It was a prayer of "standing still"; the authors had even subtitled it that.

Reconciliation requires one very large effort on my part: that of being obedient to the point of surrender. After that, it's an act of standing still, keeping my hand out of the pot, keeping my mouth shut and my focus on the breathing in and the breathing out of the Spirit of God. Resting in Him in this way is so freeing. I'm so glad that all I am asked to do is stand and breathe. He does all the hard work; He always has- the first sacrifice in the garden for Adam & Eve's clothes; the last sacrifice of His precious Son on Calvary.

It is God's hope and desire that all creation be reconciled- that is, brought into whole relationship and made compatible with God's intentions for the world...Peace is ahead of my steps; it will be waiting for me...

-Doug Pagitt and Kathryn Prill, Body Prayer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing grace
amazing forgiveness
amazing love
amazing peace
It is accomplished by Him
and by us
as we have already touched,
breathed Him in
and breathed into each other.
Words, hesitantly spoken.
His Holy Spirit was present.
We made the effort
he did the work.
Accept as it has been given.
Rest.

Anonymous said...

have never heard of body prayer.
interesting and thought provoking.
the biggest problem for me would be "keeping my mouth shut".
must practice listening.

sunshine said...

Oh /sp- you and your mouth! It's something we all must learn to deal with or else James wouldn't have written so much about it. I'd like to think we're in good company (Jesus' own brother!) when we have problems with our tongues.

Anonymous said...

well that's a positive thought for sure! thanks, i needed that!