Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Of Counting and Being One

Last night my sweet hubby put a "visitor counter" on the bottom of my blog. I thought it might be fun to see if there was EVER anyone I didn't know peeking at my ramblings. We started the count at "25" - his idea- because I've been up for about 3 weeks...maybe a visit per day or so (by him anyway!). I posted my musing for yesterday and lo and behold, the visitor counter started humming!

35...42...58...85!!! The numbers shocked me!

Now, there was a very good reason for all the hits I received last night. People all over the country are mourning the death of a fine pastor, in shock at how it could have happened. I mentioned it in my post and some media update thingy linked up with my blog. When people searched for the pastor's name on line, my post was one of the first things that popped up. They clicked on my link and were brought to my blog.

I don't know if they read anything or not. You can't really tell from the site meter. It appears that most of them didn't stay any length of time at all. And that's ok. But it brought to mind all my recent ramblings about obedience (And don't you know, it's just what "You-Know-Who" talks about today!)

When we are obedient to Christ out of a "oneness" with him...out of a desire to be as He is....out of a love relationship with him, great things happen for His purpose. When we are focused on our usability or functionality within the kingdom, we cease to be of use to Him. Jesus never gives us orders; nor does He give us "help" in obeying Him. He lets us know the standard...where the bar is set. And IF we love him, we will obey...we will follow. And as I obey, I begin to see bits and pieces of who He is, each act of obedience bringing the pixels more and more into focus and that image will run through me and spill out into the lives of others.

While I focus on Him, I have no idea how many lives He has touched through me; that's not what it's about. What it's about is loving Him so selflessly that I can obey with no second thought of myself. My prayer for today...that we be one

3 comments:

Kingfisher said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm one of the numbers on your counter. Ever since your post "Waiving my Rights" I've checked back regularly for more words of wisdom. Thanks for "casting your bread upon the waters..."

sunshine said...

Thanks, kingfisher. That's encouraging.

Anonymous said...

You've touched the lives of many "hard headed women".
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Each day there is something new to ponder.