Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Father's Legacy v.2

I've been reading a lot lately about the concept of "reconciliation". People being reconciled to God and people being reconciled to one another. The dictionary says that "reconciliation" means the "reestablishing of cordial relations". It's extremely important to God that we be reconciled to one another because we are to be like Him. Him living in us causes us to seek reconciliation with others because that's who He is- a God of relationship. He sacrificed His precious only Son so that we could "reestablish cordial relationship" with Him. He expects no less of us.

As I searched scripture regarding this concept of reconciliation, Matthew 5:23-26 kept popping up. I wanted to read it in context and realized that it was part of the Sermon on the Mount. This particular passage is nestled in the topic of murder. At first I was puzzled. Why on earth did He preface an instruction to be reconciled with one another with a discussion of murder? I liked the way that Eugene Peterson put it in The Message, "The simple moral fact is that words kill". Boy, don't I know that? Careless words or thoughtless actions destroy relationships and cause us to have to seek reconciliation. It's so easy to stop there. But Jesus didn't.

He went on to discuss adultery. Obviously adultery destroys relationships but Jesus points out that even lustful thoughts are divisive. And on to empty promises in which we say we will do one thing and then fail to do it. There are so many ways we break each other's hearts as well as God's; so many reasons for us to have to seek reconciliation. He's still teaching on reconciliation here: how do I know? Because the next section is called "love your enemies".

It's that "instead" part of grace that my friend in Ontario talks about. When others hurt you, do not respond in kind but, instead, love them; respond with the energies of prayer. For that is what God does.
In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you
-Matthew 5:48 The Message

My God-created identity: that part of me that looks just like my Dad. Talk about a Father's legacy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have thoughts (agreeing with you) on this, but words are jumbled in my head and won't make sense. looking forward to next b&n. w/share jumbled thoughts with you
then.