Friday, February 16, 2007

Thanksgiving in February

Most people spend the third or fourth week of November making conscious notes of their blessings. Like most people, I do think about that around Thanksgiving. But I think about it more in February.

We celebrate a lot of birthdays in our family during this month, from January 21st (my mother-in-law) to February 21st, my youngest son's. There's my mother on February 6th, my husband's on February 10th and my oldest son's on February 18th. By the time poor Wilby's birthday pulls up the tail on the 21st, we're all sick and tired of cake! (I guess the fact that we took him to Shoney's for apple pie for his first birthday should have been a warning!) But despite all that cake, the cards, and the calories (don't forget there's Valentine's Day thrown in there in the middle!) it really is all about the blessings.

My mother-in-law is the kind of mother-in-law all girls should dream of having. She raised her son to be the best possible husband and friend. She is an encourager. I have never once heard her speak ill of anyone. She is beautiful inside and out and I would love to have some of her rub off on me!

My own mother is the world's greatest giver. She makes, bakes, cans, sews, calls, writes, visits. She's a hard worker and a great friend. She was my Girl Scout leader (and the very best one in the whole state- I must add!) All of my friends were jealous of me when we were growing up- they all wanted my mom for theirs! She still stays involved from over 500 miles away, sending clippings from newspapers and calling to see how "today" went- whatever "today" it may have been: first day of school, first day of braces, first day with your new present.

My husband defies description. Just ask one of his students and they'll agree. He's one of the most (if not the most) unique individuals ever. I chose a Valentine for him with a princess and a knight in shining armor. It aptly called him the Champion of My Heart. He has been my champion over the years, fighting battles for me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. He has prayed holes in the knees of his jeans for me. He has loved me when I have been very unlovable, vowing to never give up on me.

My son Jack has never ceased to amaze me from the moment I first felt him move in my belly til this very morning. His compassion and wisdom have always been way beyond his years. He is dependable, respectful, and talented. He's even really good looking! I have been so blessed to watch him mature and to see him rise up to challenges that kids much older than he would easily back away from.

My younger son, Will, has been a smile on my face since conception! We considered the name "Isaac" for him- even before he was born, because it means laughter. I believe if you know him, you might agree that we should have followed our first instinct! Although he is delightfully creative and a beam of pure sunshine, like most extremists can swing just as far the other way. His pains and fears are ravishing. Sometimes I wish he didn't have to feel things so deeply but I know that that is the reason he is the marvelous creature that he is! I expect such wonderful things from both of my sons!

I can't stop there, you know. I have a daughter whose birthday is really in November, when all this reflection on blessings is supposed to happen. I guess she just didn't get the memo that in our family, Thanksgiving is in February! Or maybe she was just a little early (no...more likely she was a lot late!). Anyway, talk about blessings overflowing. She lives life constantly on the edge- exploring, pushing, trying harder than I ever tried at anything. Her 4 MB lime green i-Pod is almost full, with artists ranging from the B52's and Anberlin to Yo-Yo Ma and the cast of Annie! What 11 year old do you know that can sing the entire Best of Pat Benetar CD- without the lyric sheet?!? She does it all this way, from dancing on her toes to playing her new cello to defending picked on kids at school.

I suppose I could go on and on- my Dad, my sisters and their families, my in-laws- all of them jewels. That's what I mean when I say that February is Thanksgiving for me. With this landfall of birthdays right here in 4 weeks, I am forced to face the music...

I am blessed.

3 comments:

rod said...

aw shucks

Anonymous said...

You are truly blessed and thanks for sharing your thoughts today.
Great blog.

Anonymous said...

...and we are so blessed by you!