Thursday, February 23, 2006

Red Rover, Red Rover

Remember the game Red Rover, Red Rover? I loved playing that game- the long lines, everyone on the playground included- working together, laughing together for the same cause. I loved it when they called me over. But I hated it if I failed to break the line and successfully take someone back with me to my team. Who got called over? Who got picked and brought back? If you called over the wimps and they broke through, they got to steal your strongest and fastest. If you called over a wimp and she failed to break through, she might become your weakest link. Too much thinking....just call over your friend.

I thought about that today reading Oswald. (I know, my mind is good at rabbit trails!) Oswald mentioned that Paul's realization of how Jesus had dealt with him was the secret of his determination to serve others. In other words, Paul, knowing that he had been the worst of the worst, found great passion and determination to love Jesus and serve others when he realized how hard it must have been for Jesus to die for him- considering all he had done to hurt Jesus.

Sometimes I don't think it would have been too hard for Jesus to die for me; I mean, come on, I never ordered the murder of any of his beloved followers. I actually love Him! I'm a good guy! But then I think of what He might have seen when He looked at all my 'goodness'. He might have looked at Paul and said, "Wow! I've got to stop this guy immediately! Look at the damage he's doing! I've got to die for him and get him on my side! And then look at the passion with which he'll serve me!" But looking in on my life, what did he see? "Hmmm...I need to die for her...wrapped up in herself, her time, her life. She might once in a while speak to someone else about me. She might love her family...I don't see a whole of fruit or passion there." Not exactly strong impetus for giving up your life for someone.

Of all the people on our team that it was hard for Jesus to die for, I very well may have been the hardest. It's hard to get all worked up over luke warmness. Understanding just how hard it might have been for Jesus to die for me makes me, like Paul, determined to serve. I don't think the other side would ever pick Paul to come over- somehow you just know he'd break through. He's more like the kind that gets stolen and brought back when someone else breaks through. I'm one of those little wimpy ones- the one Satan thinks isn't much to worry about. He could call me over and I wouldn't do much damage. But just give me a chance. Understanding just how hard it was for Jesus to die for me empowers me with a passion that just might surprise you. I want to be the one called over. And I definitely don't want to be the wimpy weakest link. I want to run the distance and break through. I want to take the hand of someone on the other side and lead him back to our team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your passion for Jesus doesn't surprise the ones that know and love you.