Thursday, April 20, 2006

Yoked to Jesus

Matthew 11:29 (KJV)
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.


According to Wikipedia, a yoke is
a shaped wooden crosspiece bound to the necks of a pair of oxen, occasionally horses. It is held on the animal's neck by a usually U-shaped oxbow that also transmits force from the animal's shoulders. A swivel beneath the centre of the yoke, between the animals, attaches the pole of the vehicle (when the animals steer the vehicle) or chains that are used to drag the load.

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia © 2001-2006


When Jesus said these words, he wasn't talking about some sort of yoke that you would wear alone like a leash or a tether. He meant that two would wear it. And guess who that other one would be? How else will we learn of him? (That's why I like the King James Version of this verse. It says we will learn of him or "about him". NIV says we will learn "from" him). As I attempt to bear the load and find out exactly how difficult it is, he is there beside me, pulling the weight. It is only by working side by side with him, towards the same goal, that I will learn of his strength, his dependability, his power, his ability to perform the task...and my inability to do it on my own.

It's good to yoke up with Jesus. There is peace and rest for my soul when I work in union with him and understand that he never meant for me to go it alone. What he meant was for me to go it yoked to him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have never had that explained to me
in such a "easy to understand" way.
Thank you.