Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Packed and Ready

Yesterday, I was asked to be prepared with an answer for something. Since this was a subject with which I was extremely intimate, I thought it would be fairly easy. But then I was told that my explanation needed to be in just a few sentences. I had to verbally repeat my answer several times before I felt like it was close to what I wanted. It was very difficult; my story kept changing. Sometimes the explanation got too long and I felt frustrated that I couldn't get it all organized and concise. Sometimes I wasn't quite sure whether certain points were imperative to the explanation or merely interesting tidbits. Eventually, after several tries (and a lot of "uhm-ming" and back-tracking), I said something with which I was fairly satisfied. So later last night, I wrote it down.

What I wrote was the concise explanation. It said everything I needed it to say. Then underneath, I entered bullet points under headings. Here's where I put all those "interesting tidbits" that I kept wanting to put in the concise answer. The whole picture was like a that of a suitcase. The brevity of the answer made it easy to carry, like a suitcase- ready to take with me. But inside, if I chose to open it, were nice neat compartments, filled with a clutter of little details that I could access if need be. All of this made it much easier to express this information to someone else, should the need arise.

After reading Oswald this morning, I realized that this is a responsible task for us as followers of Jesus as well. When someone asks me about my relationship with him, the source of my joy or perseverance, I need to be ready with an answer. Then is not the time to be fumbling around in the interesting tidbits, searching out the imperative points. I need to be aware of God's moving in my life, where the interesting tidbits become life-changing impacts. I need to have my suitcase packed and ready to go, just like Peter said:

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
I Peter 3:15, NIV

So I think I have some more packing to do today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow...awesome! i love the way you think!