Friday, January 06, 2006

Returning to (and Staying in) Bethel

Oswald was about camping today. Well, not really; He talked about "pitching our tents" or really, disciplining ourselves into staying in a place where we can worship without the hinderences of life as we know it.

Really, my life is pretty hectic. One look at my calendar and most people freak. And mine, compared to some of my friends, is nothing! Yesterday, for example, I picked up one child from band at 4:30, with another child in tow and we spirited away to violin lessons. Dropped the first one home after a quick trip to the auto parts store and back to pick up the kid at violin. Rush back home and shove some supper in everyone's faces and take a bunch back down the road. One to piano lessons, the other to dance, and Daddy to the gym. Go back, pick up the piano player, pick up the dancer, take them home, back to the gym, pick up Daddy. Rod apologized over and over for my life! It's no big deal though- it's just what I do. (Ususally I do all this after a hectic day at work!) But find time to worship in there? Getouttahere!

When we camp it's a whole other story though. The last time we went camping, I never left the campsite except to travel to the out house! There, in the quiet, there are no hinderences to worship.

God wants us, like Abram, to pitch our tent between the world and him; in an intentional place where worship is possible. Where the distractions of our busy lives don't interfere. This doesn't happen without effort. We have to create it. It might mean changing our schedule, or for me, changing my job. For some, it might be as easy as getting up earlier. But it's an intentional effort- a discipline.

In Genesis 12:10-20, Abram left his pitched tent and traveled to Egypt. There, worries and worldliness overcame him. He became very wealthy but he came to that wealth through a lie- telling Pharoh that Sarai was his sister, not his wife. Pharoh fell for the beautiful Sarai and "treated Abram well for her sake". And although he got to keep his riches, he and Sarai were pretty much dishonorably kicked out of Egypt for the deception.

This is where the worries of our world take us when we leave our altars of Bethel; our tents pitched in a place of worship between God and the world. Abram was disgraced and had disgraced his wife. Humbled, do you know where he went? Back to Bethel. Back to the place he had first built an altar and worshipped God. And do you know what God did? God took Abram by the hand and showed him the beautiful land he would give to his decendants. When Abram returned to Bethel, God showed him the blessings He had in store for him. He showed Abram how He would be the supplier of all Abram's needs- not Pharoh.

So when we return to our Bethels, don't you think that He'll do the same for us?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend, you are giving Beth Moore and Oswald a run for the money! Have "you" ever considered writing for the women's magazines? That was just an awesome post and how I needed to read it! My day is not nearly as hectic as yours but still I sometimes feel that my time w/the Lord is rushed. Thanks for the reminder to slow it down.

sunshine said...

I truly appreciate the encouragement. I look so forward to your responses! I am quite content spilling my thoughts right here, though!